"State-of-the-art research facilities and a friendly learning ambience"
Department of Pharmacognosy
The department was established in 2003, under the eminent leadership of well-known pharmacognosist of Dr. S. J. Surana and Prof S. B. Gokhale. Since its inception, the department has perceived an exponential growth, which was nurtured and further developed by Dr. R. B. Jadhav and Dr. A. U. Tatiya. Department has continually upgraded itself in terms research infrastructure. The strength of the department lies in its modern labs, sophisticated instruments and high quality research output. The department maintains active research groups for carrying out collaborative and interdisciplinary research. To present, more than 100 postgraduates and 10 Ph. D. scholars successfully completed their education and research from the Pharmacognosy department and became successful researchers and academicians at their places. The departmental laboratories equipped with modern and sophisticated instruments. As result, more than 200 publications in the journal of national and international repute with good impact factor.
The faculty members have excellent academic credentials and are highly regarded. Our faculty members serve on the editorial boards of national and international journals, review research articles for journals on a regular basis. The faculty are engaged in research and working on various research projects funded by UGC, RGSTC AICTE, and pharmaceutical industries. The department has received research grant of more than Rs 60 Lacs. The department provides extensive training in all facets of natural products with special emphasis on latest developments in the scientific field and industrial requirement.
Our Pharmacognosy department also worked in collaboration with some reputed pharma industries.
GLIMPSES OF THE DEPARTMENT
To empower the pharmacognosist with skill required for successful natural product chemist and ultimately contribute to develop the centre for drug development through natural product.
To establish a unique platform for drug discovery from natural products, through innovative teaching and research.
- Best Teacher Award to Dr. S. J. Surana by Government of Maharashtra -2012
- Best Principal of Year award to Dr. S. J. Surana by IPER, PUNE -2012
- Best Principal Award OF YEAR to Dr. S. J. Surana by APTICON -2013 Rajahmundry (AP).
- Secured First position at University level Research festival (PG) Avishkar) at NMU Jalgaon (DEC-2006) to Dr. A. U. Tatiya
- Best poster award in RTPN conference at Shirpur (NOV-2006) –Dr. A. U. Tatiya
- 1st Prize in oral presentation in 18th Annual national convention of APTI during 25-27th Oct 2013 at Rajahmundry (AP) to Dr. A. U. Tatiya
- Best Research Paper under Dr. P. D. Sethi award 2012 to Dr. A. U. Tatiya
- International Research poster presented at 3rd Global summit at Chiang Mai, Thailand 2007 Dr. A. U. Tatiya.
- Ujwaldip V. Deore won 2nd prize in Avishkar 2016 University level and represent research work at State level Avishkar.
- Manoj V. Girase won 2nd prize in Avishkar 2017 University level and represent research work at State level Avishkar.
- Mohan Kalaskar Won 1st prize at National Level Society of Pharmacognosy convention, 2017 held at Government College of Pharmacy, Aurangabad
- Mr. Ujwaldip V. Deore won 1st prize in Avishkar 2018 University level and represent research work at State level Avishkar.
- Mrs. Snehal K. Bhavsar won 1
st prize in Avishkar – 2019 at University level and represented her research work at State Leve Avishkar.
Major Research Areas And Objectives
- Screening and evaluation of natural products and traditional medicine
- Development of value added modern drug delivery system of natural products
- Quality control and standardization of natural products formulation
- High throughput screening for the lead finding in natural products
- Scientific validation of Ayurveda, Siddha, Unani and Homeopathy traditional medicine
- Phytochemical and phytopharmacological studies for lead finding in natural products from the great ancient treatise of India.
- Herbal pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics studies.
- Herbal drug standardization
- Development of modern drug delivery system
- Medicinal Plant Tissue Culture
- Evaluation of traditional herbal formulation
- Isolation and purification of phytoconstituents
- Validation of Ayurveda, Siddha, Unani and Homeopathy formulations
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics studies of herbal drugs
Instruments & Facilities
- High performance thin layer chromatography (Camag Switzerland)
- UV-Vis spectrophotometer (Agilent Technologies, Germany)
- Gas chromatography (Shimadzu,Japan)
- Flash chromatography (Teledyne Isco ,USA)
- HPLC-Analytical and Preparative (Agilent Technologies, Germany)
- Vacuum Rota Evaporator (Medica Instrument MFG. Co)
- Motic digital microscope
- Antioxidant studies
- HPLC analysis of herbal extract
- Quantitative chemical estimation herbal extract
- Pharmacognostic study of crude drugs